By Naveen Sarabu, Director, Product Management and Strategy, Liaison Healthcare Informatics
Liaison attended the NCHICA annual conference that was held this week in Greensboro, NC. The theme for this year’s conference, “The Revolution in Healthcare: from Chaos to Coordinated Care”, is very appropriate for what’s happening in the industry. Now that most of the eligible providers and hospitals have completed Electronic Health Record (EHR) installations and attested for EHR Meaningful Stage 1 incentives, it is time to focus on integration and improving patient outcomes. There were informative sessions on tools for collaborative care delivery, using analytics for population and chronic disease management, and mobile security.
North Carolina has many Health Information Exchanges (HIEs) that are in various stages of implementation. All of the HIEs that are in operational state focus on clinical data exchange in the first phase and are planning to create single virtual patient record in next phase.
Some interesting quotes from the conference codify the state of where we are and where we’re going:
- “Get data into the hands of the providers. MU is a start – understand patient population”
- “For technology to succeed it requires a clinically driven team.”
- “Sharing of codified data between systems that preserves data integrity is an interesting complex challenge”
- “190,000 Medicaid recipients are admitted to the hospital every year, and 31,000 have multiple hospital admissions.”
- “Nearly one in ten admissions represents a readmission within 30 days of a prior discharge”
- “Among patients with complex chronic conditions, 1 readmission is averted for every 6 patients who receive CCNC Transitional Care equating to a savings opportunity of 4,600 averted admissions over the course of 1 year.”
- “Labs are likely to support some service offerings for Direct Secure Messaging in the next 6 to 18 months.”
- “Big data is not a threat or a challenge – it’s an opportunity”