By Naveen Sarabu, Director, Product Management and Strategy, Liaison Healthcare Informatics
Recently eHealth Initiative and Premier published results of their joint survey identifying how accountable care organizations (ACOs) in commercial and federal markets are leveraging health information and technology. According to the survey responses, here are the key findings1:
- Most ACOs report diverse health IT capabilities
- Robust analytics are essential, but data access is a barrier
- 18 months is the magic number for maturity
It is no surprise that access to data from external organizations is still a key challenge even with adoption of EHRs that are certified for meaningful use. Some of the barriers to the data access we are seeing are:
- Multiple provider information systems required for access with a wide range of capabilities (or lack thereof)
- There is no “standard” – when you’ve seen one, you’ve seen one
- Cost of hardware, software and staff to manage interfaces (EHR vendor interface fees are very expensive)
- Providers documenting necessary information in EHRs
If you have been working with ACOs, what has been your experience?
1 – eHealth Initiative Survey Webinar. “Keys To HIT Success for ACOs: Results from 2014 Survey.” 12th August 2014.